Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Gotta be familiar with Quebec French!

So just living in Montreal less than a week, I have encountered three Quebec French words.
These are French words used in Quebec, but they are used in a different way than France.

The first day I arrived in Montreal, I took a taxi to my new place and the friendly Moroccan taxi driver taught me this word on the way.

"Bienvenue."

In standard French, the word is used like "Bienvenue Montréal!" (Welcome to Montreal!).
However, here in Quebec, Canada,  it also means "You're welcome".

After I met my host mother, she took me to the drug store so that I could get my daily toiletries such as shampoo and stuffs.
Then I found a shelf with a bunch of imported products from France.
Their labels were only written in French.
(Usually, they label things they sell at stores in both English and French in Canada because English and French are the official language of the country but in Quebec, French is the only official language... so I guess they don't need to put english labels for imported items from France.)

These imported products were only written in French.
Conditioner in standard French is "aprés-shampooing".
But in Quebec French, it is "revitalisant".
"Revitalisant" in standard French means "revitalising" in English.  
Ooh... it is confusing eh?

I don't know why I took a picture of a men's product.

Then, during my French class today, I learned a new word. 
The teacher told us that people in Quebec say "bon matin" when they greet in the morning.
As you can see,  "bon matin" is a direct translation from English greeting, "good morning".

(By the way, they teach us standard French at school in Montreal. They just tell us how people actually speak in Quebec for reference. )

So these are the three "French" words I know they are actually used in Quebec!

Maybe more articles about Quebec French are coming up?


Aya

No comments:

Post a Comment